L'Atelier
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
L'Atelier

Créations linguistiques
et mondes imaginaires

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  GalerieGalerie  Dernières imagesDernières images  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Le Deal du moment : -40%
Tefal Ingenio Emotion – Batterie de cuisine 10 ...
Voir le deal
59.99 €

Do you speak English?

+16
Leo
Vilko
Yatem
Ice-Kagen
Eweron
Velonzio Noeudefée
Ziecken
Aquila Ex Machina
brimlar
Balchan-Clic
Bedal
Mardikhouran
Eclipse
Emanuelo
Djino
Seweli
20 participants
Aller à la page : Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Suivant
AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

Do you speak English? - Page 2 Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 3 Oct 2016 - 17:43

bedal a écrit:
He said that he is learning Interlingua. (I think, maybe, I am wrong)
It seems a bit odd to begin with this conlang, but maybe it can allow him to learn French more easily ^^
I did some things what could be seen like some small supplements to cultural heritage of Interlingua. Same with Esperanto before and Lidepla now. I like to produce something but I also enjoy to consume and have fun. But how can you do so if you don't have sufficent command of regarding (con)lang? There are always ways to enlarge cultural heritage of some conlang. Especially conlangs live by that (creative) newbies its input (and not - sorry about - by polit-folklore weirdness). Conlang community don't have possibilities what national states have to promote their national language all over the world. Well, but at some point, conlang newbies have to start learning conlang they are promoting. Its difficult to get balance between creative participation and setting back to feel the pain that i.e. Esperanto can not be learnt in 30 days. Doesn't concern Esperanto only btw.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 3 Oct 2016 - 18:00

Emanuelo a écrit:
He takes part in the Esperanto thread, so he learns (also?) Esperanto :-).
I will try new Lernu learning course. I think I have relearn whole of my bumpy Esperanto. I feel that Esperanto isn't designed that well to be spoken well-sounding. I say that with German native speaker background.

Emanuelo a écrit:
He is also interested by Lidepla.
Yes, I like Lidepla because of its shortness (contrary to Interlingua), easyness of pronouncation (contrary to Esperanto) and excotic (most used words are latinized chinese or hindi).

Maybe somebody knows that feeling to hear or speak foreign language then feeling overwhelmed to tears. With Esperanto I never felt that though I had lot of very nice time at E-o youth events. Hopefully it hasn't to do anything with Esperanto language itself.

Dernière édition par esra le Lun 3 Oct 2016 - 18:07, édité 1 fois
Bedal
Modérateur
Bedal

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 3 Oct 2016 - 18:06

esra a écrit:

Yes, I like Lidepla because of its shortness (contrary to Interlingua), easyness of pronouncation and excotic (most used words are latinized chinese or hindi).

I prefer interlingua rather than lidepla, and I don't know how to explain it...Maybe I have become accustomed to Romance languages, so simple and exotic language like lidepla repulses me...

Like a Star @ heaven Idéolangues : algardien, nardar, helfina, mernien, syrélien, brakin, nurménien, leryen, romanais.
Like a Star @ heaven Idéomondes : Univers d'Heimdalir, Iles Romanes

Non au terrorisme et à la barbarie. Oui à la paix, la fraternité et la solidarité. Quelles que soient notre religion, notre langue ou notre couleur de peau.
http://languesheimdalir.jimdo.com/
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 3 Oct 2016 - 18:17

bedal a écrit:
I prefer interlingua rather than lidepla, and I don't know how to explain it...
I feel Interlingua somewhat pathetic i.e. ....*-mente and very stretched in word length. It seems to be that it can be spoken very phonetic (I once heard it spoken face to face by Argentinian). Its fun to hear some Romanic language like Interlingua sounding like Standard German pronouncation spoken by Argentinian - okay - who lives in Germany now. Thats cool, yes.

bedal a écrit:
Maybe I have become accustomed to Romance languages, so simple and exotic language like lidepla repulses me...
I also feel faszinated by minimalism. I wouldn't say I'm minimalist but I like idea of minimalism. Maybe thats one reason more why lidepla faszinates me.
Bedal
Modérateur
Bedal

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 3 Oct 2016 - 18:28

esra a écrit:

I also feel faszinated by minimalism. I wouldn't say I'm minimalist but I like idea of minimalism. Maybe thats one reason more why lidepla faszinates me.

Erm...
Many people told me I like complex things... I am not minimalist, I like irregularities, complex phonetics and difficult grammar.

Paradoxically, when I have to learn such a language, I am complaining a lot... Rolling Eyes It should be better that I know what I really want... Razz

Like a Star @ heaven Idéolangues : algardien, nardar, helfina, mernien, syrélien, brakin, nurménien, leryen, romanais.

Non au terrorisme et à la barbarie. Oui à la paix, la fraternité et la solidarité. Quelles que soient notre religion, notre langue ou notre couleur de peau.
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 3 Oct 2016 - 18:48

Hey guys! I've just noticed that new thread ! I don't know who had that idea but that was so smart of them Shocked  I'm finaly going to be able to improve my English skills, talking to you. <3
I hope that there'll be some other threads of that kind, such as Spanish or Portuguese ones ^^

Emanuelo a écrit:
I tried to learn German several times, but I never succeed. Now I am learning Swedish (I have more motivation because I have a true passion for Scandinavia* and because I am not alone): one of the goals is to make simpler my later learning of German.
 Oh my Gosh, so I'm not the only one who's trying to learn Swedish because of German's complexity. Razz
Bedal
Modérateur
Bedal

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 3 Oct 2016 - 18:49

I think I will open a Japanese thread...

AEM, Eclipse, Atiel ?

EDIT : the Japanese thread is open Wink

Eclipse

Eclipse

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 3 Oct 2016 - 22:48

Great idea for the Japanese thread bedal, thanks! I'm not very good in Japanese but I'll be able to practice and improve thanks to it I guess, I'll post as soon as I can ^^
http://langues-ensemble.forumactif.org
Bedal
Modérateur
Bedal

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 3 Oct 2016 - 23:34

Eclipse a écrit:
Great idea for the Japanese thread bedal, thanks! I'm not very good in Japanese but I'll be able to practice and improve thanks to it I guess, I'll post as soon as I can ^^

You are welcome...

I have waited for a Japanese thread for a long time, so I have decided to leap : it will be useuful to practice speaking...erm...written speaking ? Razz

Balchan-Clic

Balchan-Clic

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 4 Oct 2016 - 0:13

I think this thread can be a good idea Smile , as it is always a good idea to practise a foreign - at least other - language. It's not you, conlangers and language lovers, who would say otherwise. It can also be a mean for people whose native language isn't French if they don't feel comfortable enough to use French in the beginning.

However, I hope this thread will be confined to casual talking, caféwise. I mean that it would be a pity should this thread begin to encroach on the other parts of the forum and start discussing on linguistic and conlang-related topics that should be available to everybody in French, still the official language of the forum. I am also thinking about moderators, is there any moderator who is able and would like to supervise an entire thread in English? The same question also applies to the other threads in foreign languages.

I don't want to play the killjoy here, but I think that it should be taken into consideration. Embarassed

I've seen that there is a Japanese thread, do you think it would be possible to a complete beginner to participate? I've always wanted to learn Japanese...
Seweli

Seweli

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 4 Oct 2016 - 7:41

I hope this thread, allows conlangers who don't speak French, to ask us questions about the conlangs of L'Atelier idéolangue.

Like for the other thread in Esperanto, Japanese...

But I regret that this part of the forum is not public.
https://sites.google.com/view/linguas-aidante
Eclipse

Eclipse

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 4 Oct 2016 - 10:05

Sure, come in Balchan-Clic, I'm sure no one bites in the Japanese thread Wink
http://langues-ensemble.forumactif.org
Emanuelo

Emanuelo

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 4 Oct 2016 - 10:12

Brontë a écrit:
Oh my Gosh, so I'm not the only one who's trying to learn Swedish because of German's complexity. Razz

If you want, we can open a Swedish thread Laughing . Jag är nybörjare dock ^^.
http://glossopoete.pagesperso-orange.fr
Bedal
Modérateur
Bedal

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 4 Oct 2016 - 10:35

I read somewhere that Swedish pronounciation is frightening... I have heard sthg about tones in Swedish, is it true?

Emanuelo

Emanuelo

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 4 Oct 2016 - 10:48

Tones? I don't think so. But you are right: pronunciation is harder than in English, I think. A lot of words has two accents, some even have three... the letters have a lot of different pronunciations (e.g. Swedish has 20 vowels!), they are often not pronounced at the end of the words (det, "this", /de/, de, "they", /dom/!). Moreover, there is a lot of different regional accents. A very mess...

But on the other hand, grammar is quite simple.
http://glossopoete.pagesperso-orange.fr
Mardikhouran

Mardikhouran

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 4 Oct 2016 - 18:07

bedal a écrit:
I read somewhere that Swedish pronounciation is frightening...  I have heard sthg about tones in Swedish, is it true?
Some dialects do have a pitch accent system indeed. I know the Norwegian one better: each word can receive one type of stress out of two —high or low— and that determines its melody. If I'm not mistaken, a similar system exist in Japanese, doesn't it?
http://ovahtin.fr
Bedal
Modérateur
Bedal

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 4 Oct 2016 - 18:34

Mardikhouran a écrit:
bedal a écrit:
I read somewhere that Swedish pronounciation is frightening...  I have heard sthg about tones in Swedish, is it true?
Some dialects do have a pitch accent system indeed. I know the Norwegian one better: each word can receive one type of stress out of two —high or low— and that determines its melody. If I'm not mistaken, a similar system exist in Japanese, doesn't it?

Yes in Japanese, it is the same, theroretically.
(e.g : "sake" for salmon versus "sake" for rice alcohol)

Actually, I read that this is not very important to be understood by Japanese people and there is a trend of unstressing the words Neutral

Seweli

Seweli

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMer 5 Oct 2016 - 0:54

<< I'll learn the language in the comment with the highest number of likes. >>

It gives me an idea Arrow

In the meantime, on Wikipedia (actualy 2006) :
Citation :
I suggest to separate the conlangs section into three groups:
  • Conlangs with more than 100 known speakers (Make this a table with three columns: conlang name, number of speakers at peak, references.)
  • Other fully documented conlangs - Those with fully defined grammatical rules and a mostly complete corpus.
  • Incomplete conlangs (Many listed here will probably be AfD candidates.)
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyJeu 6 Oct 2016 - 19:11

It seems creating this thread opened a Pandora' Box. A lot of threads about natural languages have been created since, which makes us forget about the core of this forum: constructed languages...
Bedal
Modérateur
Bedal

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyJeu 6 Oct 2016 - 19:27

Erm... These threads are opened but maybe they will not be really active.

Seweli

Seweli

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 7 Nov 2016 - 15:33

bedal a écrit:
Erm... These threads are opened but maybe they will not be really active.  

Yes.
But I'm sure that without the "Latest topics" box, the old threads would be a lot more active and attractive Razz

Anyway, I hope there's still somedy here, because I need some help to check my english titles on a forum.
Yesterday, I subscribe to forumactif to test a small prototype of a nice english internet forum about conlang.
I don't know if it could really succeed, but it's a lot  of fun for me to try this, so why not.

This is a base : in this prototypal forum, everybody is welcome to speak about any languages in any languages, and to ask for subforum.
And nearly everybody is welcome to ask to become administrator or moderator.

In other words : I have no much time, so if you want, here's the keys  Very Happy

Sorry for my ugly english, I'm still learning.
brimlar

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyLun 7 Nov 2016 - 16:29

Sevetcyo, if you have particular questions about English, I can help (en tant qu'anglophone).
Seweli

Seweli

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 8 Nov 2016 - 9:44

It's great !!! Thanks brimlar !!!
So... I have a title, a subtitle, three categories, and some forums in each categorie.
And I wanted to know whether/if my style is correct and not too ugly...

Easy Conlangs
A forum to talk about conlanging in an easy way

1. WORKSHOPS (IN ENGLISH)
1.1 Conlangs list (one discussion by conlang)
1.2 Natlangs list (one discussion by natlang)
1.3 Cultures and imaginary worlds
1.4 Writings and spellings
1.5 Grammar
1.6 Lessons
1.7 Bookmarks
1.8 Café

2. CONVERSATION TABLES (IN CONLANG, UNTRANSLATED NATLANG FORBIDDEN)
In Angos only
In Arwelo only
In Ayola only
In Dothraki and High Valyrian only
In Elefen only
In Elko only
In Esperanto only
In Fasile21 only
In Interlingua only
In Interlingue Occidental only
In Kotava only
In Klingon only
In Lidepla only
In Living Latin only
In Lojban only
In Mondlango only
In Na'vi only
In Pandunia only
In Quenya and Sindarin only
In Sambahsa-Mundialect only
In Uropi only
In other conlangs: Atlango, Glosa, IAL, Novbasa, Nov-esperanto, Sasxsek, Simple, Tsolyáni, Unish, Saiwosh, Volapük, Womese...

3. WORKSHOPS IN NATLANG (ASK FOR SUBFORUMS, UNTRANSLATED ENGLISH FORBIDDEN)
Workshops in Arabic only
Workshops in Bengali only
Workshops in Chinese only
Workshops in Czech only
Workshops in Dutch only
Workshops in Esperanto only
Workshops in French only
Workshops in German only
Workshops in Greek only
Workshops in Hindi only
Workshops in Indonesian only
Workshops in Italian only
Workshops in Japanese only
Workshops in Korean only
Workshops in Spanish only
Workshops in Persian only
Workshops in Polish only
Workshops in Portuguese only
Workshops in Russian only
Workshops in Swedish only
Workshops in Turkish only
Workshops in Vietnamese only
Workshops in Romanian only
Ask here to use or/and to add a new natural language
brimlar

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 8 Nov 2016 - 17:00

Hi, Sevetcyo. It looks pretty good, I'm not sure that it needs any changes.

I'd maybe change:

"Writings and spellings" to "Writing and Spelling" if you are speaking about the subjects in general, but if you want (for example) people to submit writings and their own spellings for things, you could keep "Writings and Spellings."

Also:

"Ask here to use or/and to add a new natural language" I'd maybe change to "Ask here to use and/or add a new natural language." As a convention, English speakers tend to always say "and/or" and not "or/and", and the "to" in "to add" is often omitted after an "and/or" type of phrase in English. Another example: "I would like to go to the store to buy tomatoes and/or talk to the pretty girl who works there."

"Workshops in Natlang" I'd change to "Workshops in Natlangs", too.

But pretty good! These changes are very minor and are very much just stylistic.
Aquila Ex Machina

Aquila Ex Machina

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 EmptyMar 8 Nov 2016 - 19:44

bedal a écrit:
I think I will open a Japanese thread...

AEM, Eclipse, Atiel ?

EDIT : the Japanese thread is open  Wink

Sorry! It's been ages since I've been to this part of the forum. haha

That's a great idea!!
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Do you speak English?   Do you speak English? - Page 2 Empty

Do you speak English?
Page 2 sur 6Aller à la page : Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Suivant